Other language features you'd want in D

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Feb 23 04:56:40 PST 2008

Clay Smith:
> For me, I feel that D 2.0 or 3.0 will become a dreaded kitchen sink of features.

Many features add complexity to a language (or to a system), but that's not the main problem. The main source of complexity is the strange interactions between features. When they keep being orthogonal they don't add too much complexity. Many features of C++ interact in messy ways, and they have exceptions, and exceptions to exceptions. That's the recipe to quickly increase the complexity. If you want D to keep having low complexity, you have to clean (and debug) the interaction between features. At the moment D has various things that are less clean than possible, so it can be improved there...

Bye,
bearophile