Perhaps we need to defer const for a while (3.0?)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Jan 3 07:54:38 PST 2008

Russell Lewis wrote:

> Maybe it's time to stop spinning our wheels here and start making
> progress on other things.

Personally, I think the current design feels pretty good.  It doesn't
have rays of divine light shining from it like I hoped, but it's far
better than C++ const in terms of understandability and utility.  I
think it says something that my complaints about it have been reduced to
the use of 'invariant' as a keyword rather than anything substantial.

Also, I do agree with Walter that if const is added it D it must be done
sooner rather than later.  Despite the comments to the effect that if
you don't like const you don't have to use it, it really does break a
lot of code, and the longer D is around the more difficult it will be to
justify a significant breaking change.

Sean