BRAINSTORM: Exceptions using delegates, goto: out of a delegate literal?

Russell Lewis webmaster at villagersonline.com
Tue Jan 22 07:33:48 PST 2008

Craig Black wrote:
> Interesting idea, but you failed to highlight the other things that could be
> done with this besides exceptions.  Further, the syntax for exceptions is
> pretty well established, so any modifications to it would require very
> compelling explanations.  It's easy to bash someone with a new idea, so
> sorry if it seems like I'm bashing.

Actually, you're the most charitable of the responses. :)

I agree that I have not stated any compelling "other use" for this.
It's because I don't know of one, yet.  But my gut says that this falls
in the category of "has many unexpected uses" features.  I thought I
would throw it out for others to chew on before I forgot it.

Let's set aside the syntax sugar thing I proposed for a moment and just
look at the goto: proposal.  IMHO, having a language-supported longjmp
is certainly an intriguing idea.  The only thing I can think of right
now that would make it hard would be that you'd need to clean up finally
blocks and auto variables as you accomplished the goto.  Hmm.