Notes IV

downs default_357-line at yahoo.de
Wed Jan 23 03:06:58 PST 2008

bearophile wrote:
> downs:
>
>> Programmers will create miniature languages anyway.<
>
> But doing it with Java allows you to keep the code itself more readable and simpler for less skilled programmers, and that's essential for a large wide spreading of a language.

I dislike Java among others because it's needlessly verbose. Coincidence?

>> I think what you want goes more in the direction of a Wishlist with vote features.<
>
> No, I am talking about a list of the most common mistakes people do writing their programs, so D syntax can be modified to avoid some of them.

Yeah but nobody is going to add every small typo/bug they make. Be realistic.

>> Disagreed. Code space isn't limited; I see no reason to leave out functions that might be useful.<
>
> Brain space is limited; from experience I have seen that a language that "fits the brain" allows you to code much faster.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to learn it :)

>> Example using scrapple.tools:<
>
> I'll take a look, thank you.

Yay!

>>> 14) Reals [...] I don't like the compiler to fake them silently for me).<<
>> I do. :)<
>
> Maybe you can explain me why.

I like real because it means "use as much space for this as you can". In cases where I want as much precision as possible, it fits my intent closely. Thus, I like it :)

>> Also, the existing usage of the comma expression makes it harder to implement more powerful native tuples.<
>
> ( and ) are used for other purposes, if you use them for tuples you may end with the ugly syntax python uses for singleton tuples:
I mean just comma.
Like, int e, f; blabla; int,int test() { return 2, 3; } e,f = test();
Since tuples are unrolled in D anyway, no () is needed.

 --downs