Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sat Jan 26 10:10:46 PST 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> I know there are a few places in Tango where an additional line may be
>> needed (and many where you'll need quite a few less), but without exact
>> examples of what people think is a problem, it is hard to make qualified
>> decisions on where to make improvements.
>>

> Not to be negative, but I think no matter how many
> tests/examples/whatever show that Tango is comparable or better in speed
> and efficiency to Phobos, the stigma of a feature-rich, strongly
> abstracted/modular standard library reminds of Java and .NET . I think
> the fear is less based on logic and more based on association between a
> modular standard library and VM-based languages.

Yes, this is a comfort zone thing, and not something we can or intend to do
much with. However, my feeling (since feeling seems to be an important
keyword here) is that some may use their general discomfort as a critique
towards Tango, without quantifying (or not even having anything to quantify
beyond feeling) it. I have to take this to mean that beyond certain details
that could be improved, there isn't an overall problem with Tango per se,
it is just about face value alone. Assuming I'm correct at this aspect, I
hope to avoid too much discussion on it in the future.

Specific issues or opinions on specific features / decisions are quite the
different beast though.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net