Polishing D - suggestions and comments

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 18:18:26 PST 2008

Kris wrote:

> It never fails to amaze just how much can be extracted from merely one
> element on a website :)

Yep, that happens.

> You're right about the picture, though - it was intended purely as a bit of
> fun at the time (as I recall), and should probably go. Certainly it would be
> a misconception to paint Tango with a "flighty" brush ... you would have to
> look very hard indeed to find a more "serious" D language investment
> anywhere.

I agree. The effort that has gone into Tango is certainly not reflected
by that picture.

> On a more personal note (for me) - no significant effort should have to go
> all true-blue neo-conservative to be considered "serious" about anything in
> this world, and a bit of self-deprecating humour is hardly out of place in
> any walk of life (there perhaps ought to be more of that around here
> sometimes?). It is interesting though, that you picked up on the 'cult'
> aspect of that picture - IIRC it was chosen at random because it looked
> /truly/ dorky, not because of anything else. Perhaps people will inevitably
> see whatever they want to? Ah well, it was comic relief for a period.

Sure, my comparison wasn't meant to endorse a full swing opposite to
conservatism (or neo-conservatism, as you put it).  I was just pointing
out the differences and how things might come across.  It can go bad
either way. :)  I know you are relaxed and fun-loving and would prefer
that to any form of false-dignity.  That's good.  The emphasis was
merely on appearances that I felt detracted from the image of Tango.
That opinion might or might not be shared by anybody else, but I felt
I'd mention it (again).

I'm not sure what you are implying by it being "interesting that I
picked up on the cult following"... but yes, my senses are quite acute
to picking up on cults regardless of what you perceive my worldview to
be, if that's what you meant; I'll assume you didn't mean that as a
remark concerning my Christian faith.  But, no matter, half the time
innuendos on this group are mistakes as a result of the reciever reading
too much between the lines.  I'll accept responsibility for this one.

And I haven't anything against well-timed self-deprecating humour...
sure that's useful.  But, like many things, there's a time and place for
it.  My /personal/ feeling here is that it has outlived its purpose (as
you seem to agree).  Since it's just an opinion, you needn't pay any
attention to it. :)

And no, my critique was not meant to address anything about the motives
behind why the picture was chosen.  I'm sure it was innocent enough and
was never meant to promote any sort of "cult" following of Tango. :)

> Please suggest a replacement? Perhaps we should run a little competition?

I have no suggestion at this time, other than to remove it, I suppose.