Polishing D - suggestions and comments

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 19:35:12 PST 2008

Kris Wrote:

> "Jarrod" <qwerty at ytre.wq> wrote in message
> news:fnfa1t$1o1g$2 at digitalmars.com...
>
> > What bugs me overall is not the rift between features on either side, but
> > rather the incompatibility issues. Unless there is a merge, there will be
> > two standards..
>
> Jarrod:
>
> In what manner does Tangobos not provide the "merge" you describe?  It
> permits you to import, compile and link both phobos and Tango modules
> without fuss (which is what people had asked for). If you have a different
> idea of what that "merge" should instead be, would you please clarify?

The thing they're asking for is a single semantically coherent library.

Essentially, take tangobos, make it "the" library, and then mix and match redundant parts to get the best of each.

I'm a purist, so I dread the day that D's entire library infrastructure is based on classes.  You can't tell me that the performance hit from classes is trivial.

I see the best case being:

1) Establish a central repository of algorithms, such that anyone can submit algorithms to the repository.

- Committed algorithms would need to solve some problem domain, and would not be trivially implemented with one-liners or other items in the library.

- Each algorithm could be versioned separately, and require review and approval before being committed.

- People ought to be able to sync their library to the standard repository.  Perhaps by offering them read-only SVN access.  This would let people revert to some old version of the standard library used to compile a program 5 years, 3 months and a day ago.