Newbie to D initial suggestion

Edward Diener eddielee_no_spam_here at tropicsoft.com
Sun Jan 27 08:05:24 PST 2008

I am an experienced C++ programmer who became interested in D only after
the recent discussion on comp.lang.c++ between Walter Bright and various
C++ experts regarding undefined or implementation defined areas of C++.
I realized during reading that discussion that while I would not stop
programming in C++ I was sympathetic to many of Mr. Bright's points
regarding C++.

I have a basic initial suggestion, as I am persuing the D pdf dcument I
downloaded in order to understand of what the language consisted. The
basic suggestion regards documentation for D itself. I believe the most
important thing for getting others to be interested in a new programming
language is the unglamorous chore of presenting the documentation for
that language to others. While the pdf documentation I am reading is
adequately thorough, I have a few suggestions:

1) A link to the downloaded documentation for D should be almost the
first thing a viewer should see when they click on the D portion of the
Digital Mars web site. It should be front and center. I realize there is
a separate Language link on the left hand side which takes me to an
online set of pages which explain D and I realize that somewhere down on
the initial page there is a line which reads "This document is available
as a pdf" with a link on that final word, but I think this is still too
indirect. The normal reaction to any new language is to download the
documentation detailing that language so that it can be read and/or
printed at the end-user's leisure.

2) Since D is highly related to C++ there should be a document for C++
programmers detailing the differences between D and C++, which again is
downloadable almost immediately from the main web page of D. I did not
find any such document although there is occasional mention of these
diferences in the pdf document I downloaded.

3) There is evidently a version 2.0 and above of D. Perhaps it is not
meant for anybody to become interested in this version who is just
attempting to learn what D is about, but the complete lack of any
documentation which I could find about this version and/or its
difference from the 1.0 version is not a good thing.

The pdf document I am reading is a good technical document but I would
rather, as an experienced C++ programmer, have read a downloadable
document detailing the differences between D and C++ than having to wade
through each section of the pdf document attempting to see what they are.

I realize that writing documentation is the chore which nearly every
programmer hates but when one is creating a new computer language it is
almost an absolute necessity if one wants to get others to try what one
has created. So I hope the mild suggestions mentioned here will help the
D community in their efforts to tell other interested programmers,
especially C++ programmers, why they might consider using D.

Now I will continue to read on about D at my leisure, and see if I am
interested in pursuing my initial interest in it. If I have any general
suggestions about the language I hope they will be taken in the spirit
of things intended to improve things rather than as an antagonism to the
ideas presented there.