Newbie to D initial suggestion

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Jan 27 09:37:32 PST 2008

Edward Diener wrote:
> I am an experienced C++ programmer who became interested in D only after
> the recent discussion on comp.lang.c++ between Walter Bright and various
> C++ experts regarding undefined or implementation defined areas of C++.
> I realized during reading that discussion that while I would not stop
> programming in C++ I was sympathetic to many of Mr. Bright's points
> regarding C++.

Welcome!

> 2) Since D is highly related to C++ there should be a document for C++
> programmers detailing the differences between D and C++, which again is
> downloadable almost immediately from the main web page of D. I did not
> find any such document although there is occasional mention of these
> diferences in the pdf document I downloaded.

I started putting together a porting document, which might give you some
hints.  But it's definitely not the user friendly intro document you're
after. It assumes you basically know how both C++ and D work.  But it
might give some hints as to what the most painful differences are:
   http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PortingFromCxx

I also just noticed this:
   http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/cpptod.html

> 3) There is evidently a version 2.0 and above of D. Perhaps it is not
> meant for anybody to become interested in this version who is just
> attempting to learn what D is about, but the complete lack of any
> documentation which I could find about this version and/or its
> difference from the 1.0 version is not a good thing.

We keep telling Walter this, but I suppose he's too busy to fix it.
Congrats to you for figuring out what was going on!  Yes, 2.0 is still
in flux.  Go that way only if you want bleeding edge, and don't mind
your code breaking from time to time on updates.

--bb