Download page and D docs defaulting to D2

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 30 06:56:44 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 1:50 PM, jcc7 <technocrat7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And there's no reason to push newbies to D 2.x since I'm sure once they start
> coding

It was the other way round for me. I saw the docs (for D2) and thought
"Oooh - look at all the cool new features!".

So I downloaded D, and it didn't work. Turned out it was because I'd
downloaded D1. I had to ask on this forum before I could figure out
how to download D2 and hence get the cool new features.

I'm not to argue "Newbies should get D2". But equally, I think the
rule "Newbies should get D1" is just as wrong. Ideally, the front page
should explain that there are two versions, and then there should be
two links - one taking you to the latest D1 download and docs, the
other taking you the latest D2 download and docs.

But it helps /nobody/ to have the default docs and the default
download be mutually inconsistent!