An extolment for Walter

Markus Koskimies markus at reaaliaika.net
Thu Jul 10 20:38:39 PDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:47:02 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> All I want to say is basically: wouldn't it be better for D and much
>> faster if people could just create a modified test version of dmd to
>> test new ideas instead of trying to convince Walter to test those same
>> ideas himself? that way const would have been solved by now, and the 3
>> versions of it could have been developed simultaneously and require
>> much less effort to change.
>
> There's a 100% open source implementation of D - gdc. If someone wants
> to create an experimental branch, like gcc-concepts, it only takes
> motivation.

Well, if the things would be so simple...

It is not about creating a branch. It is about having a D compiler. All
things that strive the people to different directions weak the community.

Personally, I like D. Otherwise I would not be posting here.
Professionally, I can only suggest D for freetime activities. It is not
about the superiority of the language spec; it is about having a stable
environment to build things.

Anyway, I'm a bit fed up with all these things. If we do not want to co-
operate, next time I change to my "T" programming language (T stands for
ToyHLL, and it has several fancy command line arguments, like being a
serious smart-ass).