Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Jul 21 23:04:52 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Depends on the problem being solved.  Right now however, Erlang backed by
>> D is the best I've found for general purpose server / distributed
>> programming.
>> That gives me a control language with a good parallel programming
>> model as
>> well as systems / mutable state language for optimization points,
>> shared data,
>> and systems programming bits.  So perhaps roughly similar to D2 from a
>> 1000'
>> viewpoint, but as always, the devil's in the details.
>
> But, you said you didn't wish to mix functional and imperative
> programming? I don't understand.

Not in the same language.  One reason being the impact it will have on
managing projects in D.  C++, for example, supports a sufficiently
diverse set of programming methodologies that large projects in it tend
to be a mess.

Regarding the D mixed functional / imperative approach, another issue I
have with it is that it's exactly the reverse of the Erlang / C model.
While Erlang / C is functional for control structures and imperative for
optimization points, D looks like it will be imperative for control and
functional for optimization.  Plus, I really like the concurrency model
in Erlang.

Sean