Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 22 00:58:17 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> But, you said you didn't wish to mix functional and imperative
>> programming? I don't understand.
>
> Not in the same language.  One reason being the impact it will have on
> managing projects in D.  C++, for example, supports a sufficiently
> diverse set of programming methodologies that large projects in it tend
> to be a mess.

I agree that diverse paradigm support can lead to a mess. On the other
hand, to be a mainstream language I think one must support diverse
paradigms because programmers are diverse. Additionally, nobody really
knows yet which horse is the right one to back for multicore
programming, but functional certainly is a favorite.

I disagree that using multiple languages for one project is a good idea,
unless one language is hosted by the other (like emacs/elisp). Trying to
get two languages produced by different vendors to consistently work
together across platforms and differing upgrade schedules can be a
prescription for a lot of extra work. Is learning two different
languages really easier than learning two different paradigms in the
same language?

> Regarding the D mixed functional / imperative approach, another issue I
> have with it is that it's exactly the reverse of the Erlang / C model.
> While Erlang / C is functional for control structures and imperative for
> optimization points, D looks like it will be imperative for control and
> functional for optimization.  Plus, I really like the concurrency model
> in Erlang.

A side note: Everyone complains about feature bloat in Microsoft Word.
What the world needs is a lean, mean word processor. But the problem is,
customer Bill says: "That's great, but I need feature #543. Not having
it is a deal breaker for me." Customer Sue says: "I'd buy the lean &
mean one, but I need feature #1678. Everything I do is based on that."
And so on. Feature creep is the result of inexorable and unrelenting
pressure for them.