Runtime Support

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Sat Jul 26 07:41:14 PDT 2008

Oleksii Skidan wrote:
> Hello everybody, I wonder if there's a way to disable run time support? For example, C++ is loosely tied to RTTI, exceptions and other run time stuff, and G++ gives us a way to disable them: --fno-rtti, --fno-exceptions etc... I guess other compilers do. But it seems no way to do the same thing in DMD or GDC.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Oleksii.

The D runtime library is heavily tied to TypeInfo/ClassInfo/ModuleInfo (D's RTTI "equivalent").
Thus removing these will break pretty much everything...

Exceptions should be possible to eliminate though...

I LLVMDC I've added a -noruntime switch, which will error out if it reaches an expression that
implicitly invokes the runtime.

Tomas