[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Clay Smith clayasaurus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 14:03:15 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:
>> and so they think "Wow, given the extremely low odds that a protozoan
>> would appear by random chance, we must have been created by a higher
>> power!" Idiots.
>
> My difficulty with the higher power explanation is one is left wondering
>  how the higher power came to be. Did a higher higher power create it?
> And you know where that is going <g>.

/philosophical rant

This is a good question and has been in my mind for some time too. The
same question can be asked in a different way too, "where did the
extremely dense hot state matter that created the big bang come from?"

To give the Torah credit and answer the former question...

http://www.yhwh.com/GINGN/gingn.htm

'And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall
say to the sons of Israel, `I AM has sent me to you.'"'

I figure the best answer to the question of 'who created God,' would be
that God simply 'is.' Of course, this theory doesn't have much logic
behind it, but it answers the question of 'how do you get something from
nothing?' The answer would be you don't, it just simply 'is', and will
continue to 'be.'

I also believe that humans have been 'programmed' to believe in a higher
power or authority... either through conditioning or through genetics.