[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:00:13 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:
> This is what I so like about this group. A topic is posted that is off
> topic to begin with, goes not only more OT but right into a minefield
> and not only does the thread stay interesting but it remains civil
> despite some diametrically opposed views.
>
> Damn I like this group.
>
> <G>

Just to add some relevant facts:
the article above about YAWEH is Christian nonsense. Since this article
derives everything from English translations made 1000s of years after
the original was written in Hebrew, it is based solely on that English
translation and _not_ on the original text.
Fact is Ancient Hebrew didn't have vowels and the bible (the original
Hebrew version 1.0) contains here and there words that we do not know
how to read. most of the Bible does have Nikud (marks for vowels in
modern Hebrew) since the knowledge of how to read it was preserved but
here and there there are words and phrases we do not know how to
pronounce. In order to be able to read the bible there were added
explanations in the margins (most of the time, it's quite clear that
some word simply contains some typo, or that the letters only have one
way to be pronounced) but the original text is not changed since it's
considered holy.
This is a long explanation to the simple fact that the pronunciation of
"יהוה" got lost in time in the same way, and since it's not a simple
case of a typo, we simple do not know how to pronounce it. Hebrew
speakers (like myself) read this word as "adoni" or "Lord" in English
and this is in fact how it's translated in the [much later] English version.

about statistics:
a friend showed me a graph online showing an inverse relation between
the number of pirates and rising temperature due to global warming. his
conclusion is that to stop global warming we need more pirates at sea.
I hope we all see how silly this is. one simply cannot derive a
conclusion based on something like that. statistics are much the same,
they tell us nothing since we do not know what a full definition of life
is, as Gregor said. how can you measure what's the odds are to get life
on a planet without knowing what a full definition of the concept of life?

about the big-bang:
the big bang created our space-time, so it's illogical to ask what was
before time began.

one last thing, let's consider god from a logical POV:
god is all powerful => God can create a rock no-one can lift => god
cannot lift the rock or god cannot create such a rock => contradiction

--Yigal