[~ot] why is programming so fun?

boyd gaboonviper at gmx.net
Wed Jun 4 12:57:25 PDT 2008

> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:53:23 +0200, BCS <ao at pathlink.com> wrote:
> It seems that most theology conversations can be summarized as follows:
>
> Side A: I belive X
> Side B: I belive not X
> Side A: please prove X
> Side B: I can't, but prove not X
> Side A: I can't
>
> Theology might as well be defined as questions that can't be answered in
> a provable why but who's answers have unavoidable implications.
-------

While you can roughly devide religions into a couple of sides, I think the
reality is that pretty much everyone has his own personal religion. Some
worldviews differ only slightly, others a lot. And after every discussion
such as the one that's going on here, most worldviews of those
participating will have changed, even if only slightly.

Yes, everyone is trying to convince others that his religion is the true
one, but it's not a futile act. While I doubt any theist will suddenly
become atheist, these arguments will most likely influence everyone here
one way or another just a little bit. This is how those worldviews get
molded, without discussions like these noone would believe anything at all.

As for me, I've never really believed in god. But I've always kept in mind
that my belief might not be the truth, so I do sometimes wonder what would
a god want me to do. Can I trust what's in the Bible, the Torah, the
Koran, etc... when each is claimed to be the word of god? In the end it
seems all these books are mostly about moral values; being a good person.
So, that's what I try to do.

Cheers,
Boyd