[~ot] why is programming so fun?

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Wed Jun 4 13:06:34 PDT 2008

Reply to boyd,

> Yes, everyone is trying to convince others that his religion is the
> true  one, but it's not a futile act. While I doubt any theist will
> suddenly  become atheist, these arguments will most likely influence
> everyone here  one way or another just a little bit. This is how those
> worldviews get  molded, without discussions like these noone would
> believe anything at all.

Agreeded!

> As for me, I've never really believed in god. But I've always kept in
> mind  that my belief might not be the truth, so I do sometimes wonder
> what would  a god want me to do. Can I trust what's in the Bible, the
> Torah, the  Koran, etc... when each is claimed to be the word of god?
> In the end it  seems all these books are mostly about moral values;
> being a good person.  So, that's what I try to do.

I think the proper answer is to study the options, even try to prove them
wrong. Some of them will fall before the evidence. Some will prove inconsistent
with themselves. Some will prove unlivable (if a tree falls in the forest...).
When that's done I think you will end up with a very small set of options
and I don't really know how to pick form them.

In the end I think the only stupid option is to totally ignore the question
or approach it with a closed mind because that is to simply chouse the default
without any consideration.