D learning curve

Erik Lechak prochak at netzero.net
Fri Jun 13 14:02:28 PDT 2008

Hello Jarrett,

> So you know, the difference between Phobos 1 and Phobos 2 is not what
> version of GDC you're using.  It's that there are currently two versions of
> D itself: D1, which came out at the beginning of 2007 and which is the only
> version GDC (whatever version it is) supports.  And D2, which is currently
> in an alpha state, which only DMD supports (but there's DMD1 as well).

I installed gdc-4.1.  I just assumed the Debian package name gdc-4.2 would contain the compiler for D2 and the Phobos2 library.  But now you have me wondering what is in the gdc-4.2 package.

I think from now on I'm not going to think of D as having a "standard library", until it has a standard library.

Thanks,
Erik Lechak