D learning curve

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 14:11:41 PDT 2008

"Erik Lechak" <prochak at netzero.net> wrote in message
news:g2un94$16u9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Hello Jarrett,
>
>> So you know, the difference between Phobos 1 and Phobos 2 is not what
>> version of GDC you're using.  It's that there are currently two versions
>> of
>> D itself: D1, which came out at the beginning of 2007 and which is the
>> only
>> version GDC (whatever version it is) supports.  And D2, which is
>> currently
>> in an alpha state, which only DMD supports (but there's DMD1 as well).
>
> I installed gdc-4.1.  I just assumed the Debian package name gdc-4.2 would
> contain the compiler for D2 and the Phobos2 library.  But now you have me
> wondering what is in the gdc-4.2 package.

It's GDC, linked against GCC 4.2.  And, shock of all shocks, gdc-4.1 is GDC
linked against GCC 4.1 ;)

> I think from now on I'm not going to think of D as having a "standard
> library", until it has a standard library.

It *has* a standard library.  It's Phobos.  It just so happens that many D
users use Tango instead ;)  Of course that begs the question: is a "standard
library" that is used by a minority all that "standard"?