D2 status interim report ?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jun 22 12:56:07 PDT 2008

Extrawurst wrote:
> Hey Walter,
> this is just a list of changes which were originally planned to be
> integrated into D2.0 according to the slides you and Andrei presented on
> DConference '07. So please give us a comment on what perhaps has changed
> or when certain things are going to be addressed.
> A little insight on your roadmap would be great.
>
> (1) STRUCT opImplicitCastTo/From (p.21)
> ---------------------------------
> How do you want to solve the problem of overloading by return value
> which would be necessary to solve something like the example in the
> slides (p.21):
>
>    struct S{
>        int opImplicitCastTo(){...}
>        float opImplicitCastTo(){...}
>    }

Still planning on it.

>    (2) STRUCT "inheritance" (p.27)
> ---------------------------------
> Is this still planned as it was meant to be some kind of
> template-concepts-replacement, now that there is the
> template-constraints implementation (D2.015) ?

Template constraints may have obsoleted it.

> (3) ENUM Member Lookup Rules (p.34)
> ---------------------------------
> I hope this one did not fall under the table, though it is a small thing
> cause it would simplify many enum usages.
>
> enum OpenMode {READ, WRITE, READ_WRITE}
> void foo(OpenMode mode = READ){...}

This suffers from some large chicken-and-egg semantic issues. May not
happen.

> (4) return Storage Class (p.38)
> ---------------------------------
> No more doubled getter functions for const/not-const !

Actually, we've been looking for a better way to do this, as nobody
really likes the syntax.

> (5) final switch (p.41)
> ---------------------------------
> This one is such a great proposal, when will it be implemented? No more
> worry if on runtime a enum value leads to the safety "default:
> assert(false);" control path because perhaps i have forgotton to add new
> behaviour after adding a new enum member.

That's been kind of overlooked.

> (6) AST macros (p.45)
> ---------------------------------
> The wet dream of every D-coder but when is it going to become reality ?

D 3.0.

> (7) static foreach (p.52)

Yes.

> My final bid is again, please let the community know what your roadmap
> is, so we can stop wonder how and if all this is still going to be part
> of D2.0 which was intended to become stable in this years fall.

There was a shift in focus, we're working a lot on trying to figure out
a better way to do multithreaded programming.

> Regards for the awesome work on our all-favourite programming language !

Welcs!