Spreading the word about D

Ingo Oeser ioe-news at rameria.de
Tue Jun 24 16:45:05 PDT 2008

Clay Smith wrote:

> What do you think is the best way to promote D?
> Here are some ideas I already know about and have seen used successfully.
>
> 1. Articles - Write D articles and post on digg/reddit

Ivory tower stuff -> nobody invests in that, except some geeks.

Walter and friends wrote too much praise already. Better invest that
time in writing D spec and managing the developers to scale development
of code and documentation.
Walter should learn more from Linus Torvalds here. He excelled there
together with his team!

Recommended reading: linux-2.6/Documentation/ManagementStyle

> 2. Tutorials - Teach D newcomers how to use D

Great idea! Better: Provide professional D trainings.
If it works out, D has business value.

> 3. Libraries - Write a library for D / help out an existing D library

Good idea! But please prefer "help out".

Diversity and choice is good, but "do not repeat yourself" and
"don't reinvent the wheel" might prove more efficient
with the scarce development resources of the D community.

Additions:
4. write real applications with added value and sell them successfully.
   That proves the added value in $CURRENCY.

5. write real applications with added value and open source them.
   That proves that more than fancy libraries and games can be written
   in D and how to do it.

6. Extend dsss to build *.msi, *.rpm, *.deb etc. packages
   Really: Not using the package manager to deploy any executable
        code is a big NO these days. Even Windows can do it these days!

So there is actually real coding work to do!

Best Regards

Ingo