Number of "D" users

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sat Mar 8 13:00:32 PST 2008

Reply to ty,

> I would be interested in anyones rough guesses or real data on just
> how many people do use "D".
>
> I mean actually use it as opposed to just come in and look. From this
> group I would say about 100 tops
>
> So do you think it is 100 ,500, 1000, 5004   ?

Good question, I'd like to known as well. If I had to guess I'd take the
number of download's of each new version of DMD in the week or so after it
comes out and multiply by about 2 or 3 (not everyone stays on the bleeding
edge, 1.026 on this box for example, even older on my other systems).

Another option would be unique IP hits' on the change log. But I rather suspect
that will over estimate it.

The number of NG users is not a real good indicator (lots of lurkers, users
who don't use NG's and I rather suspect many here don't use D that awful
much). I'd guess (and this is a wild guess) 100 NG regulars -> +400 users.

The only actual numbers I have are that (IIRC) about 60-80 people came out
for the D conference in Seattle back at the end of last summer and around
100 indicated they were actually looking at going.

So.... I think it would be safe to say >200, possibly >>200