Memory Safety

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Mar 21 17:16:45 PDT 2008

It's good to have a place like that where you are free to talk about all the interesting things you like :-)
Java seems good in that regard :-)

Walter:
>since D is a powerful programming language even without pointers, it may be practical to define a safe D subset. We are examining each feature of D to find the largest possible subset of the language that is memory safe. Then, if this subset is itself a practical language, D can be a major contribution towards eliminating malware.<

So you need a tool to see if some D code is using just that subset, I presume this isn't too much difficult to do.

So the questions are:
- Is such D subset useful/enough in practice?
- Is such subset any better than Java itself?
- Even if such subset of D is useful, and it's better than Java, are enough people going to use it (instead of Java, or instead of full D) so it can become a "major contribution" in practice too? :-)

Thank you very much for the interesting topic,
bearophile