Why I (Still) Won't Use D

Michiel Helvensteijn nomail at please.com
Thu Mar 27 12:56:13 PDT 2008

Benji Smith wrote:

> The built-in collection of types should include types with only one
> sensible implementation. A fixed-size list has only one sensible
> implementation: an array. So it makes sense for it to built in.
>
> That's why I think the other types would be more at home in a library.

Now that you mention it, I've been thinking about that as well. I know what
you mean.

However, we also want the syntactic sugar for maps and dynamic arrays. int[]
is just so much prettier than vector!(int).

So why not allow a library to define what an int[] or int[T] means? This
would only work, however, if:

* No clashing implementations can be imported at the same time. (Just like
two classes with the same name can't coexist.)
* There is a default implementation for which you need no imports.

--
Michiel