Nedmalloc

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Sun May 4 16:19:03 PDT 2008

"janderson" <askme at me.com> wrote in message
news:fvif08$1f4v$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Just bring this topic a again.  Would it be possible to get Nedalloc
> either into Tango or Phobos?  It would make sense for D to have the
> fastest allocator.  It would be a very easy upgrade to D's speed which is
> one of D's marketing points.  Nedalloc was already ported by someone.
>
> http://nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/index.html
>
> -Joel

I think the problem here is that people like you and I that care about the
manual allocators are in the minority.  Probably the vast majority of D
programmers don't use manual allocation at all, so the motivation to
incorporate a faster manual allocator is small, even if it is trivial to do
so.  IMO, a big reason that so few D programmers use manual allocation is
that not many programmers that care about performance are programming in D.
This is because D is slow for many tasks for two primary reasons: slow GC
and a poor compiler optimization.  (Fortunately, manual allocation can be
used instead of GC.)  While optimizing the GC and the compiler are big
tasks, incorporating nedmalloc is trivial, and represents a very large
speedup for applications that use manual allocation.

-Craig