More D newb questions.

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Fri May 9 15:45:18 PDT 2008

On Fri, 09 May 2008 12:31:55 +0100, Me Here <p9e883002 at sneakemail.com>
wrote:

> Pursuading programmers that there is little conceptual difference
> between a
> single char and a string of one char, and that they should be usable
> interchangably? Now that could be a real challenge :)
>
> b.

There are as other have already pointed out a number of very signficant
conceptual differences.
If you want to ignore them you should prefer a less strongly typed
language.

That said is there any reason we couldn't have an implicit (possibly user
defined) cast to array when
no other implicit casts apply?

i.e.

T[] opImplicitCast(T a) {
   return T[](a);
}

This still wouldn't permit 'a' ~ 'b' so long as there is a valid meaning
for  int~int
but it would be useful in other places. Thinking about it, it could
already be built-in
I can't honestly remember.

void myFunction(foo[] A);

myFunction('a') --> myFunction(['a']);