Why we chose not to use D for our Linux project

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Thu May 22 14:45:20 PDT 2008

"Chris Wright" <dhasenan at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:g116kf$2sjl$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Clay Smith wrote:
>> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>>> A very good friend of mine and an absolutely fantastic programmer once
>>> told me some great advice: stop making stupid UML diagrams and write
>>> code!
>>>

>> Sorry, but I have to say that you are not getting great advice. The
>> design stage is the most important stage in the life of a program. Get
>> that wrong and you can write all the code you want, and it will all be
>> wrong.
>
> UML class diagrams and UML sequence diagrams are not design; they are
> programming. Programming in a language with no compiler, programming
> without including your core algorithms, programming without any tests.
> There's no way in hell you can verify your design will be even remotely
> close to something that can work.
>
> You can safely and usefully design at a higher level before writing any
> code, but not on the class level.

Safely, yes, usefully, maybe ;)

I'm convinced highly iterative development for anything even remotely
complex is where it's at, so it's easy to spend too much time on the initial
design stage, IMHO. I've seen too many projects that were over-designed
prior to any coding that have failed miserably, mostly because what the user
thinks they want and what they really want (once they start using something)
are totally different.

A great example is the development of the language and tools for D itself
<g>