Why we chose not to use D for our Linux project

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Thu May 22 15:02:20 PDT 2008

Reply to Dave,

> it's easy to spend too much time on the
> initial design stage, IMHO. I've seen too many projects that were
> over-designed prior to any coding that have failed miserably

I think the important thing is to keep in mind what the design gives you
and what it costs you.

The design is a tool for making better software. It lets you catch some design
flaws earlier and fix them when it's cheaper. But it can be a costly way
to find types of bugs. So when the cost savings of finding the bug that way
exceeds the cost savings of fixing it later, just implement the sucker.

I suspect that's why formal design is more common in airplanes and space
probes, finding a bug in flight control code by waiting for the plain to
crash (pun) is kind of expensive.