Why we chose not to use D for our Linux project

Jacob Carlborg doobnet at gmail.com
Fri May 30 12:19:07 PDT 2008

Bill Lear wrote:
> [...]

First I can say that there are two runtime libraries available, the
standard library Phobos and the alternative community developed runtime
library Tango.

The problems you have with bud is that it's code is very old and D has
introduced new keywords (ref, macro) since then which conflicts with the
module and variable names. If you want to build bud then you have to
change all the module and variable names that conflicts with the new
keywords, this includes both source files and make files. But I think
you should use dsss (see below) instead.

dmd is not 64bit compatible so you have to use gdc or dmd with 32bit
libraries.

> % dinstall dbi
> DBI is now installed for D.  Have fun.

This can be done with the dsss tool:
dsss net install ddbi

This will download, compile and install ddbi.

I think the best and easiest way to get D (and Tango) working is
downloading a tango bundle (D compiler with the Tango runtime library
pre-compiled) which exists for the platforms osx,linux and windows and
then download dsss as a pre-compiled binary.

dmd bundled with Tango for windows and linux:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/DmdDownloads

gdc bundled with Tango for linux and osx:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/GdcDownloads

pre-compiled dsss binary for linux, windows and osx:
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dsss/downloads/0.75/

I completely agree with you that the lack of documentation is a big
problem, I know that it was for me when I started, and I had big
problems before I found the right tools to use.

BTW I think ddbi is going through some changes and I've seen that other
people have problems with it.