C++, D: Dinosaurs?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:58:46 PST 2008

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> For example, have you ever tried doing web development? You can't
> realistically do anything nontrivial without tripping over at least handful
> of different, essentially domain-specific, languages: ECMAScript, (T)SQL,
> (X)HTML, XML, CSS, and either PHP, ASP/VBScript, ASP.NET/C#, Python or Ruby.
> And that's just the bare minimum for any non-trivial web site. For one
> thing, most of those are great examples of the fact that domain-specific
> languages do nothing to prevent piss-poor language design. But besides that:
> Conceptually, web development is one of the most trivial forms of
> programming out there. But the domain-specific language-soup realities of it
> have turned what should have been trivial into one of the programming
> world's biggest pains-in-the-ass. It's an absolute mess. I'm currently
> writing my first compiler, and I have in the past written homebrew for the
> Atari VCS, and an Asm sound driver for a multiprocessing
> microcontroller/embedded-device that has no sound hardware other than a
> generic DAC capability. All of those have proven to be far less
> pains-in-the-ass than any of my web development work. Considering the
> conceptual simplicity of the web, that's just absolutely pathetic.

Microsoft agrees.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/webdev/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204701262

Write your web frontend & backend in .NET. Throw in a little LINQ-to-SQL
  and you don't even need SQL. (The official website ihas been down
since September... I assume they're productizing it).