C++, D: Dinosaurs?

Piotrek starpit at tlen.pl
Tue Nov 4 02:21:50 PST 2008

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I've found that, unfortunately, to not be quite enough. Not because of any
> limitations of D/Tango/Mango, but because:
>
> #1: In the commercial world there are a lot of times when you, as the
> programmer, have little to no say on how the server is set up and what
> languages are available (for instance, I've done plenty of PHP and VBScript,
> but never by choice).

True. And that's why I search opportunity to get around such limitations.

> #2: You have basically no control over the client-side environment, so for
> that you're still stuck with de-facto standards like ECMAScript, and a lack
> of the upcoming/proposed improvements to (X)HTML (things I've thought should
> have been in HTML all along...*grumble*).

Also true. JavaScript is necessary to make dhtml and ajax and I see no
way to get rid of it for now (only I can do is use it when truly needed).

> [...] Pasting together SQL snippets is just plain ugly, and why dynamically
> generate code just for the DBMS to go and parse it? I mean, geez, just cut
> the middleman and pass the request directly. LINQ is better, but I'm still
> not convinced it's the right approach. TSQL stored procedures are something
> I'd rather, well, just write in a more "normal" language.  And then, of
> course, there's the bizarre "insert" vs. "update" syntax inconsistencies and
> general incompatibilities across vendors (ex: insert a row and retreive the
> auto-gen id <- which is really a rather common thing to need to do,
> particularly if you've got any foreign keys in the DB design, which again is
> rather common).

The LINQ project looks ok. However I don't use the Microsoft software at
all.

> To be fair though, I have to say that without some of the advanced features
> we've been starting to see in languages like D, C#, Python and Ruby, using
> an API for any non-trivial queries could potentially get ugly.

I find non-trivial SQL queries as ugly as hell. I'd rather see it in OO way.

Cheers