null and type safety

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 4 14:31:59 PST 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> Dereferencing a null pointer is *always* a bug, it doesn't matter how
> "safe" it is.

Sure. But I'm interested in creating a safe subset of D, and so the more
correct interpretation of what constitutes "safety" is important.

> Don't you think that eliminating something that's
> always a bug at compile time is a worthwhile investment?

Not always. There's a commensurate increase in complexity that may not
make it worth while.

My focus is on eliminating bugs that cannot be reliably detected even at
run time. This will be a big win for D.