How much time will D1 be around?

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue Nov 11 03:14:51 PST 2008

Now that D2 is being developed, I don't know how much time it will take
until it is finished. Once it is, what will happen to D1? Will anyone
still use it?

I ask this because from time to time I like to add new features to
Descent to improve D1 support. Semantic analysis is pretty done for D1,
except for some bugs that are hard to fix, or at least take a lot of
time. :-P

For D2, there's still missing a lot of semantic analysis porting from
DMD, and doing that is kind of boring (adding new features, that's fun).
But if I add features to D1 and it will be gone soon, what's the point?
Also, I feel that the great majority of the people here don't see an IDE
as a helpful programming tool.

But, in another point of view, I see a lot of big differences between D1
and D2. For instance, I don't like const/invariant, I don't care about
that, I never had bugs or trouble or performance problems because of
mutability problems, so I consider D1 easier to grasp. So I wonder if
anyone else thinks "No matter what will happen, I'll probably just stick
with D1".

What do you think about all this?

Thanks,
Ary