How much time will D1 be around?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Nov 12 18:31:44 PST 2008

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Brad Roberts wrote:
>>> Ok, enabled for the D product.  Each registered user has 10 votes and
>>> can vote only once per bug.
>>
>> What is the motivation behind limiting the total number of votes a
>> user may have? I think that may blunt the statistics a bit.
>
> Presumably it's to force you to only vote for the ones you consider most
> important.
> This way you may not be able to vote for every issue you ever ran into
> and instead have to pick the ones that bug you most (no pun intended).
> In theory, this could lead to more meaningful results, especially as
> time passes.

Hmmm... If a user has unlimited votes they can't manipulate the system.
Say they vote 1 for every single bug. That simply means an additional
bias is in the system, which does not influence the ranking.

So the limit of 10 is really an arbitrary cap on the number of bugs a
given person can consider important.

As time passes, this only gets worse. Say I "consumed" my 10 votes. Then
I find a showstopper for my code. Well I need to decide which of the
other bugs I don't "care" for anymore. Why do I need to make that decision?

Don't introduce arbitrary aperture windows in the system. Let the
statistics do its work.

Andrei