How much time will D1 be around?

Brad Roberts braddr at bellevue.puremagic.com
Wed Nov 12 18:49:09 PST 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Frits van Bommel wrote:
> > Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the motivation behind limiting the total number of votes a user
> > > may have? I think that may blunt the statistics a bit.
> >
> > Presumably it's to force you to only vote for the ones you consider most
> > important.
> > This way you may not be able to vote for every issue you ever ran into and
> > instead have to pick the ones that bug you most (no pun intended). In
> > theory, this could lead to more meaningful results, especially as time
> > passes.
>
> Hmmm... If a user has unlimited votes they can't manipulate the system. Say
> they vote 1 for every single bug. That simply means an additional bias is in
> the system, which does not influence the ranking.
>
> So the limit of 10 is really an arbitrary cap on the number of bugs a given
> person can consider important.
>
> As time passes, this only gets worse. Say I "consumed" my 10 votes. Then I
> find a showstopper for my code. Well I need to decide which of the other bugs
> I don't "care" for anymore. Why do I need to make that decision?
>
> Don't introduce arbitrary aperture windows in the system. Let the statistics
> do its work.
>
> Andrei

Do you have more than 10 you want to vote for?  It's not a cap on how many
are important.  It's a cap on how many you can suggest are the ones that
time should most urgently be spent on.

Anyway, like I said, I'll change it if there's sufficient interest and so
far there clearly hasn't been. :)

Later,
Brad