Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:59:46 PST 2008

Tim M wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 05:22:24 +1300, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> == Quote from Tony (tonytech08 at gmail.com)'s article
>>> Is D today's PASCAL?
>>> Tony
>>
>> No.  D is not a bondage-and-discipline language.
>

> I think you're thinking of Java. Those guys are shit scared of public
> properties. Get & Set for everything.

You can't have fields in an interface.

Fields can't be overridden, and you can't add validation to them. (In D,
you can use invariants, but they won't tell you what set this field to a
bad value.)

The only way to get this behavior in Java is with get/set methods.

This is a case of syntax driving design patterns. In C#, I see people
using properties rather than fields everywhere, but I'm starting to
think that's bad form. Unless you're using interfaces or doing
validation, something interesting like that, just use a public field. In
Java, that'd be an expensive change to make; in C# or D, it's cheap.