Tony tonytech08 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 20:49:19 PST 2008

"Robert Fraser" <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gg5bfo$20n5$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Christopher Wright wrote:
>> On a more serious note, the standard library and available IDEs often
>> have more to do with ease of use of a language than the language itself
>> (assuming the language is reasonable).
>
> I disagree. I still find D _much_ easier than C++ even though C++ has tons
> of "standard" libraries and at least one passable IDE (SourceInsight;
> don't get me started on VS).

On IDEs:

I like VS a lot: I was using and developing my own IDE system (makefile
based with outlining text editing... never got to syntax highlighting but
had the hooks) until the new version of VS came along. I find it VERY
productive AFTER setting the environment up to AVOID MS technologies such as
.net. I am using VS Pro (trial) and Express. I used to be a Borland fan, but
one key IDE issue made me drop them.  That said, I can envision a much
better IDE, but it is more than adequate right now for me. I am still doing
much architectural rearrangement/rework/design though, so I don't know what
other peoples' style is.

On libraries:

I am replacing (lots done already) the C++ std library. It's icky.

Tony.