exe file size

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 08:13:57 PST 2008

Hello lutger,

> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Build times with the new dsss push me way past the sanity point, so
>> I've gone back to 0.76, which I think may have never been released.
>> I think I built it myself from sources.
>>
>> Build times with 0.76 are just barely tolerable with my app.  But my
>> colleague was telling me today that he wants to do his work on a
>> small, non-DWT test app instead of the main app because the build
>> times are too frustrating for him.
>>
>> If I were forced to use the latest DSSS, I'd defnitely be trying to
>> do whatever I could to improve the build times, including using
>> "make" if that's what it took.
>>
>> Hmm... Now that dmd -v will spit out all the modules imported, it
>> might be possible to use that to create a makefile (or a make.deps
>> for use by a makefile) automatically.
>>
>> --bb
>>
> I didn't notice dsss has such a large overhead, is this due to dsss
> parsing the whole source, or has it something to do with how it
> compiles applications? If it is the latter, perhaps that's amenable
> with some configuration?
>
> Dsss does multicore builds, that probably cancels out the overhead on
> my machine.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but I imagine the re-parsing is only part
of it because dsss 0.75 is actually pretty fast (compared to release 0.78).

I think I remember Gregor suggesting that performance could be improved (or
at least dsss could be simplified) if he had access to a new feature in the
dmd compiler ("-ignore" flag: ignore unsupported pragmas).  That feature
was added several versions ago, but I think Gregor has been too busy to make
use of it.  I can't remember how using this flag could fix things for dsss,
though.  The answer lies somewhere in posts from earlier this year.

-JJR