shouting versus dotting

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 08:18:31 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Ary Borenszweig" wrote

> I still vote to keep ! as it's the easiest solution, and I never have found
> it annoying ;)

Yeh, me too.

The @ (and #) also take up too much width in a small mono-space font
like the Proggy font I use.  And so they run into the previous and
following chars making them less readable.   ! is nice and thin so it
doesn't have that problem.

{ } vs ( ) is also a fairly subtle distinction in a small font.
Usually the context and usage is different enough that that doesn't
matter.   But of course you may just tell me I should change my font
in that case.  But I still say ! stands out better.

And honestly, my eyes totally just see !(...) as a symbolic string
now, devoid of any meaning beyond "this is a template".  Mentions of
it looking like shouting or negation or anything else brought back a
vague recollection of a time long ago when I still could see that.
But I can only make it look like shouting in my mind now if I
purposefully pretend the parentheses are part of a different word, or
pretend to myself that I'm not looking at D code.

--bb