An inconvenient truth

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Wed Oct 8 10:09:53 PDT 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:gcim2j$fhu$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyhow, this segment of the discussion is somewhat orthogonal to the
>>> rest of it as I think we all agree a Unicode notation will be an
>>> alternative, not an exclusive choice for template instantiations.
>>>

>> Alternative? That's really what we need; a different group of symbols
>> that denote exactly the same thing, in Unicode no less <g>
>>
>> This whole discussion is getting goofy.
>>
>> Imagine a code maintainer who has a hard enough time grasping what the
>> template code is doing, much less having to slog through code where the
>> original developer(s) decided to use the Unicode "alternative" depending
>> on what day of the week it was.
>>
>> Beautiful!
>
> Oh, one more thought about that. I think the ASCII/Unicode distinction
> changes the space a bit. For example, currently using:
>
> int[] a;
>
> or
>
> int a[];
>
> is decided by nothing in particular. But choosing the chevrons vs. the
> ASCII notation will be largely decided by the toolchain used. That's why I
> doubt any given codebase will be as heterogeneous as it could be with
> regard to other choices.
>
> I wonder what choice the online D documentation should make. Using
> chevrons would be pretty neat, but then random people look at it and are
> like, "how do I ever type this?" etc.
>

> Andrei

That and the toolchain thing is what really bothers me. Plus the fact that
I've never been a fan of multiple keystrokes for a single character other
than CAPS, or of having to setup "smartkeys" for anything, especially
day-today coding <g>

Back to your earlier Eiffel illustration (which I think speaks to a general
dislike for any "un-C-like" feel more than anything else), what could be
more "un-C-like" than something that cannot be displayed properly or even
entered in a plain old editor that just knows ASCII?

- Dave