Pure functions in D

renoX renosky at free.fr
Fri Oct 10 13:43:08 PDT 2008

bearophile a écrit :
> renoX:
>
>> No, I'm not interested in Haskell, as long as I can't learn monads
>> I'm not interested<
>
> My idea is that you can start learning Haskell, doing practice,
> learning how you do I/O, etc, even if you don't know what they are.

I don't like magic, perhaps it's because I learned assembly language too
early but I had the same issue with OO languages: until I managed to
understand how inheritance worked, it was always bugging me..

Unfortunately monads are *way harder* to understand than inheritance!

[cut]
> Note that monads are used in F# too, and I presume in few
> months/years we'll see them in Scala too ;-)

F# being impure, I wonder if monads are used often in F#?

 >And currently Haskell is
 > one of the most interesting languages to learn, even more interesting
 > than Prolog :-)

YMMV: Learned Prolog and Lisp at school, never used those and didn't get
any interest in using them from the school lessons, and I feel the same
about Haskell: a language for researchers, nice for melting your brain
sure, but not something I'm interested in: functional language are not
my thing.

D's users being practical guys, I doubt that I'm alone in my desinterest
in Haskell.

renoX