Phobos/Tango Unification Plans

Moritz Warning moritzwarning at web.de
Mon Oct 13 02:56:06 PDT 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:31:46 +0200, Don wrote:

[..]
> Suggestion #1
>
> The best situation I can imagine would be if Phobos started using the
> phobos namespace for stuff which is not common with Tango, and std was
> used for the common stuff.
>
> My preferred option would be to remove tango.math.Math (stupid name
> anyway), combine it with tango.math.IEEE (another doubtful name) and
> rename it as std.math.
> The more advanced math functions would remain in Tango, since I like the
> two-level heirachy which Tango provides. The advanced functions which
> are currently duplicated (eg, std.math.tgamma) would be removed from
> Phobos.
>
> ---
>
> There are many other alternatives, perhaps someone will suggest a better
> or more acceptable alternative. I don't care, as long as I can stop
> having to copy & paste all my code.
>
> Yes, lots of stuff is going to break. But I think we have to accept
> that. The potential gains from healing this massive schism in D are
> enormous.

I agree that lot's of stuff is going to break
and that the benefits are big.

If a merge is ever going to happen (and I hope it does)
it has do be done today rather than tomorrow.

Here is a three step plan:
- plan the basic design concept of a new std. namespace.
- rename the current std. to phobos.
- continue to populate std from Phobos and Tango.

The main point of debate would be the structure of the new std namespace.
It's hard to combine simplicity and small size have to be combined with
the feature richness and speed of Tango.