foo!(bar) ==> foo{bar} ==> foo[bar] (just Brackets)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 13:10:28 PDT 2008

"Ary Borenszweig" wrote
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>>>
>>> Also what IDEs did you try, and what problems exactly did you encounter?
>>> Did you try any of the Eclipse ones, Descent or Mmrnmhrm?
>>
>> I tried Descent and Code::Blocks.
>>
>> I wanted something to try and debug programs.  But I couldn't get either
>> of them to hook to dmd for compiling projects.  Descent actually has you
>> configure a compiler, and can run a compilation which does absolutely
>> nothing.  I found out later that it only uses the configuration from the
>> compiler, it doesn't actually *use* the compiler.
>
> Did you try this:
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent/wiki/CompilingPrograms

Yes.  I believe I did follow those directions, but the debugger
automatically skipped through extern(C) functions, and since I was trying to
debug the runtime, it wasn't useful.

But I don't think the files were being compiled correctly, as the debugger
couldn't find the source for the library code anyways.

I'm not saying that Descent is bad, I'm just saying it's too rough at the
moment for someone like me who doesn't have patience with IDEs ;)  I'm sure
you'll get the kinks worked out someday.  The auto-completion is really
cool, but not worth the effort for me.  Vim's working just fine for me right
now.

> The compiler configuration will be gone soon, as it isn't used for
> anything.

That is good, it was very confusing ;)

> And compiler integration, hmmm... it's taking too long, and I guess it's
> because me and Robert are way too busy/lazy lately.

I understand that.

> But if you compile programs like it is said there, the debugger
> integration works quite well.

Have you solved being able to debug extern(C) functions?  ddbg has no
problem debugging them.

-Steve