How does D improve design practices over C++?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Oct 29 13:37:11 PDT 2008

Paul D. Anderson:
>I've submitted an abstract for an oral presentation on "Compiler-Assisted Quality" at an upcoming Boeing software conference. (I haven't heard yet whether it's been accepted.) I was going to ask for a list like this to help prepare the presentation.<

D1 is often safer than C and C++, but regarding safety there are several things that can improved still, often with no/little performance penalty (unsafe casting (automatic and manual), integral overflows, GC pointers Vs other pointers, nonnull types, named arguments, fallthrough switch cases, multi var assigns syntax missing, octal literals, bitwise operators as symbols instead English words, and many other smaller things I have listed in the past). You may want to tell them about the idea of SafeD too (javesque D).

Bye,
bearophile