Google Chrome and process-based design

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Sat Sep 6 06:20:48 PDT 2008

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:46:57 +0100, davidl <davidl at 126.com> wrote:

> 在 Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:08:27 +0800,Alexander Panek
> <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> 写道:
>
>> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>>> You already know that Google is making a buzz with their new Chrome
>>> browser.
>>> Go download and test it if you didn't do yet (www.google.com/chrome/,
>>> Windows only for now).
>>>  It is heavily multi-threaded and uses separate process for each
>>> window, each tab, each plugin etc. When one tab hags or a plugin
>>> crashes, nothing bad happens. The browser continues working as if
>>> nothing changes. It even has a built-in process manager, try opening
>>> youtube.com and killing a flash player plugin.
>>>  You can read the whole story at www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
>>>  This is an example of process-based designs implementation which is
>>> what D2 aims at, and it is clearly a success.
>>
>> It's funny, just a week ago or so Bartosz Milewski published a blog
>> entry about how processes scale better than threads..
>>
>> I tried Chrome and I'm really impressed by how responsive it is. Also,
>> the UI is kept very minimalistic, yet it doesn't lack any features. The
>> website-application feature is also a very handy thing.
>>
>> Overall, I'd say Google Chrome is quite an impressive product. Would
>> love having a D port. :P
>
> Who will ever want to port a such big project? 437MB Source tarball(WTF,
> a browser bigger than OS source base)
>
> Google goes the wrong way. It just extends the current web crap not
> reinvent something smarter.

Porting code is a lot easier than writing code from scratch, though it
assumes you have a
good design and a good reason to port. Assuming the design is adequate the
reason to port
would be to demonstrate why D was a better langage than whatever its
written in. They
don't seem keen to advertise it but it looks like C++ from a quick google.