D parser in tango or phobos

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Sep 6 07:10:11 PDT 2008

Bruce Adams:
> One of the first questions some people ask when
> told about a new language is "what is it written in?"
> If its not written in itself they ask why. If the answer is not compelling
> they may walk away.

Yet, probably 98% of programmers don't care of that. Like most programmers of C#, Java, Python, Perl, Lua, Ruby, Tcl, etc. I'd like to have a D compiler written in D, but there are more urgent/important things to do, I presume.

> A problem is that the language is itself not that stable. You could write
> a D compiler in D1.0 but why bother when it will soon be obsolete.
> Writing a D compiler in D2.0 is a moving target

Creating a back-end requires lot of work, so it may be better to use the one of GCC and LLVM, and save your time to improve the language itself.

And another possibility is to use D1 to write a compiler for D2 :-)

> Python has a python parser written in python. The main interpreter is
> written in C for portability.

There is also a full Python interpreter (and JIT) written in Python in the works, it's named PyPy.

Bye,
bearophile