[OT] D hidden features topic for StackOverflow

JMNorris nospam at nospam.com
Thu Sep 25 16:43:17 PDT 2008

Thanks for the responses.  I guess I was more interested in what's wrong
with Ajax from an end user's point of view than a programmer's.

>From the programmer's end:  I know enough about Javascript and DOM to know
that the first is decidedly a mediocre language and both are frustratingly
inconsistent across browsers.  I guess that's what we get paid
(insufficiently well) for. :-)

>From the user's end:  If I understand you correctly, your problem with Ajax
and it's base technologies is not that they inherently require bad design
but rather that they enable or at least encourage bad design.  (And that
Ajax and friends would be mostly unnecessary with a few simple fixes in
HTML/XHTML.)

The real reason for asking this is that I'm applying for a job where the
employer will want me to use Ajax.  From the desciption of the project in
the job posting, I can't imagine why they think it would be useful.
They'll also want me to use ColdFusion which suggests that the grown-ups
are not in charge.  But I promise I'll try not to break the "Back" button.
And if they insist on a Flash intro page, I promise I'll try very hard to
vomit on the employer. :-)

I've seen enough horribly designed web sites to be quite sympathetic to
complaints about various tools encouraging bad design.  But I guess I tend
to blame the designer more than the tool.  Bad designers will always be
with us no matter what tools we have.  I guess I think that the only thing
wrong with Comic Sans is that people use it. :-)

--
JMNorris