[OT] D hidden features topic for StackOverflow

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Sep 25 16:55:29 PDT 2008

"JMNorris" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message
news:gbh7mk$ob2$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Thanks for the responses.  I guess I was more interested in what's wrong
> with Ajax from an end user's point of view than a programmer's.
>
> From the programmer's end:  I know enough about Javascript and DOM to know
> that the first is decidedly a mediocre language and both are frustratingly
> inconsistent across browsers.  I guess that's what we get paid
> (insufficiently well) for. :-)
>
> From the user's end:  If I understand you correctly, your problem with
> Ajax
> and it's base technologies is not that they inherently require bad design
> but rather that they enable or at least encourage bad design.  (And that
> Ajax and friends would be mostly unnecessary with a few simple fixes in
> HTML/XHTML.)

Yes, that's an accurate summary. Also, I'm rather sore about all of the
sites that require JS - that prevents me from using my old trick of avoiding
many of the irritations by switching JS off.

> The real reason for asking this is that I'm applying for a job where the
> employer will want me to use Ajax.  From the desciption of the project in
> the job posting, I can't imagine why they think it would be useful.

Ajax is the latest trendy buzz-word in web development circles these days.
Probably more often than not, managers (and especially HR) consider "doing a
good job" to essentially be "follow the buzz: what's popular *must* be
right".

Another possiblity though is that they want to decrease the load on their
servers. Ajax is basically just using JS/DHTML to do partial page loads
instead of full page loads, which I'd imagine *can* decrease the load on a
server (at the cost of increased processing on the client's end - especially
with the more common, less cuttong-edge JS implementations).

> They'll also want me to use ColdFusion which suggests that the grown-ups
> are not in charge.  But I promise I'll try not to break the "Back" button.
> And if they insist on a Flash intro page, I promise I'll try very hard to
> vomit on the employer. :-)

Ha ha, yes :)