What Scala?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Apr 2 17:32:18 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> grauzone:
>
>> To add: - How much you pay your Professor At least that's what I
>> heard about Italian universities.
>
> Yes, in the some universities of the south (and probably some in the
> center) this happens now and then. But it's much less common in
> natural sciences (because you have to know what you have studied in
> past courses to understand the following ones). And it's almost
> unheard of in my university. And about 60-70% of the teachers are
> good enough. Students of the south that want a good university
> sometimes go to the center or north. Then there are things like CEPU
> that help students face exams, and despite being legal they produce
> nothing good, just more ignorant people.

That has to do with the overall corruption in the region so the
information content is low. Going to a crappy school in an overall
corrupt region kind of sets up the stage nicely :o).

If anything, the university will be a local moral maximum. I went to
university in a corrupt country and at a corrupt historical time.
However, professors had integrity. Our class of 30 bought a bottle of
whiskey for one who was known to need some greasing, but that was all. I
learned there about Banach spaces and by golly if I'd forgotten all
about them I couldn't have proved a quintessential theorem in my
dissertation 19 years later.

Andrei